Tuesday, July 15, 2014

Yaqui Delgado Wants to Kick Your Ass by Meg Medina

I know, I know, the title has a swear word in it, now let's move on.  This is the most honest portrayal of bullying in a YA novel that I think I have read.  Piddy Sanchez has to move to a new neighborhood and a new school and now she is having to deal with the torments of Yaqui Delgado (both with words and with fists).  Yaqui is relentless in her bullying of Piddy.  It is painfully realistic in its view.  I was worried the end would be another "oh, it will all work out in the end and we will all be friends," but the solution, while not ideal or easy, was truthful.  This novel won the Pura Belpre award given to Latino/Latina authors/illustrators whose work best portrays the Latino cultural experience.  I think this book deserves any and all accolades, it is wonderful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment