Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Blood Red Road by Moira Young

What a great adventure story.  It IS set in a futuristic wasteland, but the focus is not what happened to make it a waste land.  The focus of the book is the "quest" that Saba goes on to get her kidnapped brother back.  I liked Saba.  She is pretty prickly, but she grows on you as she grows in her understanding of herself and others and how to treat them.  One thing about this book that I must note is that the whole thing is written exactly the way Saba speaks...which is not always grammatically correct.  Lots of "I ain't gonna do that...," "just" becomes "jest" and "get" become "git."  Many of the words are spelled phonetically (spelled like they sound).  For example: "exact" is spelled "ezzack" in the story.  I found it tricky at first, but it really gave Saba a voice I could hear in my head.  There is a book #2 that follows this called "Rebel Heart" that we have in the library, and I hear that this is being made into a movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment