Friday, September 18, 2015

The One and Only Ivan by Katherine Applegate

When I was young the Lincoln Children's Zoo was very different.  I remember there was a bear and this bear lived in what essentially was a big cement pit.  There were a few things in there but nothing like the habitats in zoos today look like.  I always thought that bear looked so sad, and I am sure he was unhappy living in such a sterile environment.  The One and Only Ivan brought this memory back to me because it is Ivan's story.  Ivan is a lowland gorilla living in a "Big Top Mall and Video Arcade." Like the cement pit, Ivan's "domain" is not healthy for him OR his animal friends.  I loved this book and read it in a 11/2 days because I couldn't put it down.  It was inspired by the real Ivan, a gorilla that was rescued from a harsh environment and placed in the Atlanta Zoo.  I think this book will encourage you to think about "big picture" things.  Things like poaching, and zoos, even though they are much improved...is it ok for humans to capture and keep wild animals?  I hope this encourages your curiosity into these bigger topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment