Tuesday, August 20, 2013

How Lamar's Bad Prank Won a Bubba-Sized Trophy by Crystal Allen

I LOVE to bowl and so does Lamar, the main character in this book.  Lamar loves bowling and can't understand why the rest of the town is not on board with that.  They love "main stream" sports like basketball, and his brother is a STAR at basketball.  Both he and his brother are resentful of each other after their mom passes away and things just keep going down hill.  Lamar starts hanging with a kid who is not quite the best choice and they start scamming others for money at the bowling alleys.  It is not until Lamar pulls a terrible prank, with prompting from his new "friend," that he starts to think about people besides himself in his attempt to make things right.  I had just a few problems with this book: first off, I have asthma like Lamar, and I kind of hate when they portray asthmatics as "tied to our inhalers" and unable to do stuff.  But maybe Lamar has a very SEVERE case of asthma that keeps him puffing away on his inhaler throughout the book.  Lamar's big prank involved pulling a fire alarm and I think the fine they made him pay was a little unrealistic, I think it would be much more than the $200, especially with the damage that was caused.  BUT even with these minor issues, I enjoyed this story.  I liked the characters and the passion they held for their sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment