Monday, January 26, 2015

Torn by David Massey

The blurb on the book leads you to believe that this is a love story, but I found it to be very little of that and much more about the daily pressures of war and how it effects those involved in it.  It is told from the point of view of 19 yr. old British medic Ellie who is stationed in an area of Afghanistan.  I enjoyed the relationship of Ellie and a youngster that they have captured after his group of "young martyrs" fired upon her unit.  She promises to help him find out what really happened in his village. This book does an amazing job of conveying the uncomfortable, frantic stress of combat for those that are living in the area as well as those that are fighting the war. The youngsters in this book made me think back to a book I had read earlier call "Kids of Kabul" about children that have grown up in a war torn country and what they want out of life.  I recommend reading both of these books.

No comments:

Post a Comment