Friday, September 20, 2013

Dear Bully: 70 Authors Tell Their Stories (Edited by Megan Kelley Hall and Carrie Jones)



This was a fantastic book.  I was bullied in grade school.  This was not a one time instance of some kid being mean.  This was an all the time "picking on" that made going to school, as well as the walk home, not very pleasant even though I loved to learn.  Even though we wore uniforms and they couldn't pick on my wardrobe they found other ways to make fun. I was "too short" or "had too many freckles" any number of other things they could find or imagine. I was never beat up by their fists but the constant barrage of nasty words was almost worse.  It led to me choosing to go to a high school as far away from them as I could get.  This book offers stories from some of your favorite authors that experienced similar situations and turned to their writing to make it through the tough times and THEN they turned that writing into a successful career.  I couldn't put this book down.  I learned many powerful lessons from my Grandma Daddario (my Dad's mom) but the two I remember the best are "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" and "being kind doesn't cost you anything."  So be kind to each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment