Sunday, August 10, 2014

Mare's War by Tanita S. Davis

I always loved spending time with my Grandma Daddario (my dad's mom).  She always had wonderful stories, like the time she rode to Canada on her Indian Motorcycle when she was 18: this was a pretty rebellious thing in the 30's.  I think this is one of the reasons I loved Mare's War.  Mare sounds fiery and fierce just like my grandma.  Mare's War is a story of a grandmother on a road trip with her two granddaughters and how they learn things about her that they never knew.  This is a work of historical fiction and I also LOVE historical fiction.  I learn so much from historical fiction.  Mare was a member of the African American battalion of the Women's Army Core (WAC) that served in WWII.  I enjoyed the alternating chapters of Mare's story of back "then" and what was taking place in the present.  I would now like to do some more research into the WAC. 

No comments:

Post a Comment