Monday, June 3, 2013

The Unwanteds by Lisa McMann

This was my first Golden Sower Nominee of the season and I liked it.  Dystopian and magic in one book.  Quill is a society where the motto is "Quill prevails when the strong survive."  Every year "the Purge takes place and 13 year olds are sorted into 3 categories: the Wanteds, (who will go on to University) the Necessaries (who do the menial tasks to keep the society running, and the Unwanteds (who are sent to die in the Great Lake of boiling oil).  Our main character does not die and discovers a wonderful world where his creative talents lead to magic.  I did like that the character's magical talents were tied to their creative pursuits.  It did bother me a little bit that those sent to the university to study math and science were not thought of as creative, but I didn't let that spoil my enjoyment of this story.

No comments:

Post a Comment