Monday, July 8, 2013

Jefferson's Sons by Kimberly Brubaker Bradley

Another YA Golden Sower checked off for me.  Boy did I like this book.  Jefferson's Sons is historical fiction about the children that Thomas Jefferson had with one of his slaves Sally Hemings.  I always found it disturbing that the man who wrote "all men are created equal" owned slaves.  I don't understand how anyone could ever be ok with owning another human being. This story took turns telling the story of several of Jefferson's children and their lives as they grew up as slaves.  Knowing who their father was but having to keep it a secret.  Reading this made me want to know more, so I went to some of the sites that the author suggests.  I wanted to know what happened to Sally's children and their children.

No comments:

Post a Comment