Monday, July 8, 2013

Stolen by Lucy Christopher

Wow, what a difference from the last book I blogged about. While Pie was a light and pretty carefree read, Stolen is rather dark and stressful.  Gemma should have listened to the warning that parents have been telling their kids for years: Don't Talk To Strangers!  Gemma does talk to a stranger and it gets her stolen.  Away from an airport where she is on a trip with her parents to the desert of Australia.  The book is written like Gemma is talking to her captor. The weird thing is it is hard to hate the captor.  He seems to genuinely want Gemma as a companion.  I found it to be a tense read because I would imagine what I would do out there in the middle of nowhere knowing no one I loved knew where I was.  There is some language in this book, so I would recommend it to older readers.  I believe its because it was written by an English woman, who grew up in Australia and they are not as bothered by swearing. This was an Honor Book for the Michael L. Printz Award for excellence in Young Adult Literature.  

No comments:

Post a Comment